Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Triangle Walk

March 2011 marks the 100th anniversary of The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire where 146 garment workers, mostly young Jewish and Italian immigrant women and teenage girls, were burned to death on the locked upper floors of a sweatshop in Greenwich Village. These immigrants came to this country in search of a better life. They worked 12 hours a day or more, at least six days a week to support their families. The youngest victim was 16. Six of the burned bodies were only identified this year. This tragedy was a major catalyst for change in labor and safety laws in this country and is an important date in New York, feminist and labor history.

Together with the Museum at Eldridge Street Museum, we are organizing a procession of 146 people, each one representing a sweatshop worker at the turn of the last century who lost her life in the fire. A list of the victims names is available here.

On Sunday, March 27, 2011, at 1.46pm we will walk from the site of the Triangle Fire near NYU to the Eldridge Street Synagogue on the lower east side, the neighborhood where many of these workers lived. The march will represent the walk home the victims of the Triangle Fire were never able to make. Each walker will wear a plaque with the name, age, address and death date of the worker she is commemorating. We will then enter the synagogue around 3pm and stand on the second floor women’s balcony.

The performer and Yiddish translator Caraid O'Brien will talk about the Sweatshop Poets, a group of early twentieth century Yiddish artists who worked by day in the sweatshops of New York City and wrote poetry at night about their lives. Actors will perform some of the poetry in Yiddish and English. The acclaimed klezmer musicians Jeff Warschauer and Deborah Strauss will perform several songs based on the work of the Sweatshop Poets. The program will end as all of The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory performers file to the front of the room, light a memorial candle, say their name and age and leave the synagogue as images from the fire are projected on a screen.

Several groups have joined us in taking part in the procession including Todo con Nada, Treehouse Shakers, World Fellowship, The New Yiddish Chorale, Media for Social Profit and The Brooklyn Heights Synagogue. We are still looking for a few performers to join the walk. If you are interested send an email to caraidobrien@gmail.com

30 comments:

  1. Hello everyone! We have 23 people currently signed on to the project. We are excited and honored to work with each one of you.

    At this point, I would like you to try reaching out to friends and family to help us reach 146 people, so we can properly celebrate the lives of these men and women whose death made New York City a safer place for all of us.

    Thank you,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic project!
    Thank you so much for organizing this.

    Warm Wishes,
    Ruth Sergel

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful tribute to the 146 mostly young immigrant women. I am encouraging everyone I know to join in this Triangle Walk. I am honored that I will be walking as Sarafina Saracino.
    LuLu LoLo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would very much like to walk for my great aunts Rachel Grossman, who died in the fire, and Pauline, who survived, but am not sure I can make it. It is a great project and I will be there in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel & Pauline Grossman were also my great aunts! My paternal grandfather was Morris Grossman.

      Delete
    2. I just happened to stumble onto this site. Rachel & Pauline Grossman were also my great aunts! My paternal grandfather was Morris Grossman, father Herman Grossman, and I am Jed Grossman. lawmanjed@aol.com

      Delete
  5. Hello,

    I would love to participate in the walk, and was wondering if you are still looking for volunteers or if you've found enough participants? Thanks! - Judith

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may also be interested in this installation:


    Terrible Karma: Reverberations of the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire


    Created and Curated by Adeola Enigbokan and Merle Patchett


    Terrible Karma is a mobile audio-visual installation that explores the contemporary, global reverberations of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire, on it’s 100th anniversary.


    To download and for full details go to:


    www.merlepatchett.wordpress.com/triangle

    ReplyDelete
  7. 9 More Spots left, spread the word!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura, I would love to take part. Where do I go, or whom can I contact? Judith.yancey@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!
    I'd love to participate! Do you have room for two more people?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sure, we are meeting in costume (long black skirt, dark coats, between 10am and noon at The Lang Cafeteria 65 West 11th, Street. Just show up before noon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Awesome blog and thanks for sharing . Laminate wood flooring and laminate floor accesories at Lowe's. Find the best in flooring, laminate underlayment, laminate sealants, repair kits and more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to partake in the walk, and was thinking about whether you are as yet searching for volunteers or on the off chance that you've sufficiently discovered members? Much obliged.

    Http://researchpaperwriting-service-online.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like and appreciate your blog post, thanks again. Want some more stuff. New exclusive song by Music MG, this is a very good song.

    Maxi dresses

    ReplyDelete
  14. رائع رائع الذهاب، أنا حقا مثل جميع وظائف ونتطلع لتحسين الأداء من جانبكم. أنا يقوم بزيارات متكررة من هذا الموقع، وقد اقترح عدد كبير من الناس. التكنولوجيا روابط الرابط هو موقع لتبادل العلاقات العربية وتصنيفها اعتمادا على محتواها. أخبارعلومروابط, التكنولوجياروابط, الترفيهروابط, رياضةروابط, روابط.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I am mainly surprised by way you use uniqueness with almost every single detail. It might become genuine heading to aid me a great offer. Thank you for sharing your suggestions.

    ______________________
    Valances

    ReplyDelete
  16. An obligation of appreciation is all together to share about the tips for growing action to the site. I in like manner aware of it post some more suggestion.I welcome your work post more information.
    Plenty of fish

    ReplyDelete
  17. This paragraph will assist the internet people for creating new website or even a weblog from start to end.Bisexual dating

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mind boggling story there. What happened after? Fare thee well!
    Cell phone repairs

    ReplyDelete
  19. Greetings! Appreciative to you for this, I showed it a day or two prior and am astoundingly happy. I was just thinking about, is there any procedure for covering comments from the online diary proprietor? A significant measure of my answers and responses are showing up on the sustenance and I'd ideally showcase visitor comments than my own!
    Gay dating

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice Post. It’s really a very good article. I noticed all your important points. Thanks

    ====================================
    Best SEO Company In Kanpur india

    ReplyDelete
  21. One more technique in favor of promoting your web site is posting comments on different sites with your weblog link.

    ---------------------------
    Latest xrp news

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like your take on the issue. I now have a clear idea on what this matter is all about.. best pressure tank brand

    ReplyDelete
  23. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commentators here! Maid Service

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post. I will visit your blog regularly for Some latest post. Check it out

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is my first time visit here. From the tons of comments on your articles,I guess I am not only one having all the enjoyment right here! local painting contractors New lenox

    ReplyDelete
  26. It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it! roofer Dallas Texas

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very interesting, thanks for sharing such amazing information with us. Visit Ogen Infosystem for creative Web Designing Company in Delhi and Digital Marketing Company in Delhi, India.
    Digital Marketing Company in Delhi

    ReplyDelete